Building Permits, Inspections & Contractor Registration
NEW PERMIT AND CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION SUBMITTAL PROCESS
The City of Schertz Inspections Department has implemented a new process to submit a building permit. This new process is intended to improve the service and communications we provide to you our customer. These changes include email notifications related to the receipt of permit applications, acceptance of permit applications and information on incomplete permit applications.
Submit a completed building permit application or Contractor Registration. New Commercial and New Residential applications must be submitted in person or by mail to the Inspections Division Office.
Payments can be made in person or over the phone. If you have any question please call 210-619-1750.
New Water Meter Set Request Procedure
The Utility Billing Office has a new procedure designed to ensure that water meter set requests are received and completed in a timely manner. Please click here to view the new water meter set procedure. If you have any questions about this procedure please contact Utility Billing Office at 210-619-1100.
The Building Inspections Team assures life safety and building codes by enforcing the building, residential, electrical, energy, gas, mechanical, and plumbing codes adopted by the City. The division is responsible for the following:
- Issuing building permits for all construction in the City
- Performing inspections for all construction in the City
- Issuing contractor registration for all contractors working in the City
- Providing support and enforcement of the City’s Unified Development code in cooperation with Planning and Zoning Division
- Investigating and resolving complaints regarding alleged building code violations
- Conducting plan review of all proposed construction within the city limits and extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) as applicable
- Assists departments with enforcement of City regulations and ordinances pertaining to Planning, Health, Engineering, Public Works, Parks and Recreation, Fire and the Code Enforcement Office
Building Permit Application & Fee Information
Submit a completed building permit application. New Commercial and New Residential applications must be submitted in person or by mail to the Inspections Division Office.
Find documents, such as permit and contractor registration, online. For a comprehensive list of Inspection Division fees please click here. For additional information please see our Building Permits page.
Permitting Time Frame
- New Residential Construction Plan Review: 15 to 20 business days
- New Commercial Construction Plan Review: 45 to 60 business days
- All Other Miscellaneous Permits: Up to 10 business days
Inspection Request Process
Outdoor construction hours are as follows:
- Monday - Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday - Outdoor work is prohibited
For additional information on construction hours please see our Inspections page.
All contractors performing work for which a permit is required in the City of Schertz shall be registered with the City. For more information please see the Contractor Registration page.