The Schertz Fire/ Rescue Department were formed in 1956 as an all volunteer department by 12 local business men. They named Archie Woodward as their first Volunteer Fire Chief. In 1959 the first fire truck was purchased, 1956 Ford Pumper. In 1970 the second apparatus was purchased; an International Pumper. In 1975 Archie Woodward was named the first part-time Fire Chief, proceeding to become the first full-time Fire Chief in 1980. In 1982 Archie Woodward retired, and Edward Melton was named Fire Chief.
In 1985 the first full time fire fighter was hired to work from 0800 to 1700. In 1986 the department added two fire fighters with shifts from 0700 to 1500, and 1500 to 2300 hours. The second duty shift consisted primarily of volunteers. In 1991 Edward Melton retired and Johnny Woodward was named Fire Chief.
In 1993 the department transitioned to the current 24/48 schedule. In April of 2000, the Department moved into the current Central station off of Schertz Parkway In 2001 Johnny Woodward retired and on March 11, 2002 Elroy Friesenhahn was named Fire Chief. In July of 2005 The City of Schertz opened its second fire station located on Interstate 35. Along with Schertz Fire Department, Schertz EMS is housed at this station.
- CE Solutions
- Centers for Disease Control
- Department of Homeland Security
- International Fire Service Training Association
- National Fire Protection Administration
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- State Firemen's and Fire Marshal's Association of Texas
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCLEOSE)
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection
- Texas Department of Health
- Texas State Association of Fire Fighters
- Texas State Fire Marshal's Office
- United States Fire Administration