EMT Training Academy
the 2019 MAY EMT CLASs is now full
The Schertz EMS Training Academy was established in 2007 as a part of the City of Schertz Emergency Medical Services. The Academy offers initial pre-hospital emergency medical training to our partnering organizations and is available to anyone interested in beginning a career serving our community.
The Academy is a 16-week course that consists of 176 hours of classroom lectures and skills training. Classroom training is complemented with an internship including 40 hours of practical experience aboard our ambulances and 24 hours of clinical experience with the Emergency Department at Northeast Methodist Hospital.
The program is rigorous and fast-paced. Successful completion of the course qualifies graduates to sit for the National Registry certification examination. All practicing EMS providers in the state of Texas must initially be certified by the National Registry.
We are very proud of our program and have a success rate among the highest in Texas. 95% of Academy students advance to take the National Registry examination and 92% of those are successfully certified as EMTs, placing us among the highest in the state.
- 18 years of age by graduation
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid driver's license
- Certain current immunization: Measles, Mumps Rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B, Tetanus (TB/PPD or Tdap)
- Opening the airway and providing artificial ventilation
- Performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Delivery of semi-automated defibrillation
- Controlling severe bleeding
- Treating for shock
- Dressing and bandaging wounds
- Splinting injured extremities
- Delivery and care of Infants
- Emergency vehicle operations
- Communications and medical record keeping
- Accepting applications online soon
- Our Address: 1400 Schertz Pkwy, Building 7
- A deposit of $550 is due at the time of registration
- The remaining $550 is due on the first night of class