Residential Video Inspection Program
Residential Video Inspection Request Process
The purpose of the City of Schertz Residential Video Inspection Program is to provide an alternative for eligible residential inspections, including limited re-inspections. The program requires the customer to use a compatible video application on a phone or tablet in order to interact with the City Inspector.
Eligible Permitted Projects:
- Water Heater
- Water Softener
- Plumbing Re-pipe of interior and exterior
- A/C Change Out
- Existing Foundation inspections or repairs
- Main Yard Line Water or Sewer Yard-line Repair
- Electrical Service Change or Repair
- Temporary Electrical Meter Loops
- Exterior Electrical Installations
- Roofing felt
Note: If for any reason the Inspector is not able to complete the inspection via the Video Inspection Program, the inspector will schedule a field inspection for the next business day.
The video inspection process shall include:
- Scheduling your remote video inspection at Request an Inspection. Please include an email address, phone number and a note that you are requesting a video inspection in the comment section of the request.
- An Inspector will contact you the morning of the inspection to confirm the inspection type and schedule a time for the inspection to be performed.
- An Inspector will initiate a video call with the customer.
- The Inspector will direct the customer to send video images of specific items (as determined by City Inspector) to be inspected.
- Inspection results be entered and emailed to requestor.
- Wireless service: Requires the use of a smartphone or tablet with wireless service. The device used must have good connectivity from the location of the inspection and is compatible with the video conferencing solution Zoom.
- Smartphone: IPhone or Android for Video/FaceTime call; or
- Zoom Account: Must have an active account with Zoom.
- Prepare for inspection: Prior to scheduled inspection time, ensure all necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. (For example; tape measure, GFCI tester, flashlight, step ladder, 2-foot level, torpedo level, pitch gauge for roofing, etc.)
How to prepare for the Video inspection call:
- Must be at least 18 years old or with an adult to perform the video inspection.
- Ensure smart phone or tablet is fully charged and meets the minimum requirements.
- Expect a call from a City Inspector to schedule the video inspection time. Be sure to have at least three appointment time options for the requested inspection.
- Be prepared to accept the video call at the scheduled time.
- Please have all necessary tools available to perform the inspections.
- Turn off phone notifications that may interrupt the Video Inspection. This is an important step, because notifications can freeze the program being used and will cause delays during the inspection.
- The use of ear buds with a microphone, is recommended, to improve communication.
- Open video application on your smartphone. (I.e. facetime or android video); or
- Open the Zoom app on your phone or tablet.
- If using Zoom please sign in to Zoom.
- Click on join the meeting (this is displayed in the email invitation sent by the Inspector).
- You must click on the link in the email to join the zoom meeting. Please ensure that your audio and video are enabled.
This will start the inspection.
- The inspector will provide instructions.
- Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure.
- The address must be shown in the initial view
- Follow the Inspectors directions.
- The Inspector will make notes of any corrections and inform you if the inspection passed or failed and an email will be sent the day of the inspection with inspection outcome.
Outdoor construction hours in are as follows:
- Monday - Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday - Outdoor work is prohibited
According to Ordinance 13-H-51, Section 54-14 (8): Commercial contractors are prohibited from the erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair work on any building or structure other than between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. Commercial contractors are prohibited from outdoor work involving erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair work on unoccupied structures on Sundays. An exception can be made in case of urgent necessity in the interest of public safety and convenience, and then only by written permit from the city manager or his/her designee, which permit may be renewed by the city manager or his/her designee, during the time the emergency exists. All special requests must be submitted in writing. For more information on special requests please email TDanhof@Schertz.com.
1400 Schertz Parkway
Schertz, TX 78154
Phone: 210-619-1750Fax: 210-619-1769
Carl QuastBuilding InspectorPhone: 210-619-1764
Jim BruceChief Building OfficialPhone: 210-619-1763
Armando AlcalaBuilding InspectorPhone: 210-619-1761
Waylin CarawayBuilding InspectorPhone: 210-619-1767
Erin NoahPlan ExaminerPhone: 210-619-1765