- Feature Links
- Public Library
- About the Library
- Food Truck Policy
Food Truck Policy
The City of Schertz currently has no ordinance or policy preventing food trucks from operating on city property. Food truck owners do need to request permission to set up shop from the property owners, otherwise they can be asked to leave. The library has an application process for food trucks that want to set up in the library's parking lot. Food trucks can also set up on the street as long as they do not block traffic.
Food trucks are required to have a Mobile Food Permit to operate in Schertz. The truck should have the paperwork and a sticker on the back of the vehicle. Here is the link to the ordinance governing the permit: Sec. 34-22. - Adoption of Texas Food and Beverage Establishment Rules. (Sections 34-22 through 34-29 concern food)
Any temporary signs also require a permit. The City’s sign ordinance does not permit blow-up signs or flags. Here is the link to the ordinance governing signage: ARTICLE 11. - SIGNS AND ADVERTISING DEVICES (Section 21.11.17 concerns temporary signage)
- Any food trucks using the Library’s parking lot must be in compliance with City Ordinances.
- No more than two vendors at any one time. One vendor can be located in the front parking area in the driveway next to the main canopy; the other in the back parking area along Elbel directly across from the entrance to the Playscape. These areas have been chosen to minimize impact to customer parking and traffic through the parking lot.
- Food truck reservations will be tracked on the meeting room calendar and staff member responsible for reservations will oversee food truck reservations.
- Vendors must make a reservation with us in order to be in the parking lot.
- Reservations can be made up to 6 weeks in advance.
- Any advertising done by the food vendor can include the Library’s name and address but can’t intimate that the Library is sponsoring the vehicle unless we are doing some sort of joint project, e.g. proceeds are being donated to the Library Foundation.
- There are no fees to use the Library’s parking lot.
- Food vendors must keep the parking lot free of trash generated by the food truck and maintain a neat work space.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel reservations or ask food vendors to vacate the premises depending on circumstances such as programming needs, volume of library business, refusal by vendor to follow our guidelines, etc.
Policy created July 10, 2017
Endorsed by Schertz Public Library Advisory Board November 1, 2021