- Public Safety
- Department History
The Schertz Fire/Rescue Department was formed in 1956 as an all volunteer department by 12 local businessmen. They named Archie Woodward as their first Volunteer Fire Chief. In 1959, the first fire truck was purchased, a 1956 Ford Pumper. In 1970, the second apparatus was purchased, an International Pumper. In 1975, Archie Woodward was named the first part-time Fire Chief, proceeding to become the first full-time Fire Chief in 1980. In 1982 Archie Woodward retired, and Edward Melton was named Fire Chief.
In 1985, the first full-time firefighter was hired to work from 0800 to 1700. In 1986, the department added two firefighters with shifts from 0700 to 1500, and 1500 to 2300 hours. The second duty shift consisted primarily of volunteers. In 1991, Edward Melton retired and Johnny Woodward was named Fire Chief.
In 1993, the department transitioned to as 24/48 schedule. In April of 2000, the department moved into the current Central Station off of Schertz Parkway. In 2001, Johnny Woodward retired and on March 11, 2002, Elroy Friesenhahn was named Fire Chief. In July of 2005,the City of Schertz opened its second fire station located on Interstate 35. Along with Schertz Fire Department, Schertz EMS is also housed at this station. Elroy Friesenhahn retired in 2007. David Covington was sworn in as Fire Chief in October of 2007. Fire Chief Kade Long succeeded David Covington in 2017 and retired in 2022.
Today, the department operates under a 48/96 schedule out of three fire stations with 46 members under the leadership of Fire Chief Greg Rodgers.