Welcome to the Schertz Fire Rescue Firefighter Recruitment web page!
Please check this site for information and updates on becoming a Schertz Fire Rescue Team member.
Schertz Fire participates in the Alamo Area Fire Chief's testing process.
The City of Schertz is accepting applications for the position of Certified Firefighter to fill immediate vacancies and to establish an eligibility list that will remain in effect for a period of six months. We employ 44 uniformed positions in three fire stations. Schertz Fire Rescue is a learning organization that is proud of its training and professional development.
Certification, License and Special Requirements
- Structural Certification by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection.
- EMT-B certification from Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS),
- Requires a valid Class “B” Texas driver’s license and the ability to remain insurable under the city’s insurance policy.
Step 1: Apply on-line - Application period is open: Application Process
Step 3: Complete Physical Agility Testing with a passing time.
The PAT consist of the following elements:
- The applicant will be provided helmet, gloves and 50 pound weighted vest.
- Applicant will perform a 3 minute 20 second stair climb on a StairMaster.
- Applicant will then proceed to a timed PAT test and perform the following:
- Carry a 50’ section of hose up 1 story and down
- Lift a 50’ section of hose on a rope from 1 story and back down
- Pull 200’ charged hose line
- Walk a 50’ serpentine course
- Pull a 175 pound manikin 60’
Step 4: Panel Interview with Schertz Fire Rescue Team Members
Step 5: Complete Background review process
Step 6: Fire Chief Interview
Step 7: Conditional Job Offer - Complete and Pass Medical Screening and Drug Test
Step 8: Start your Career as a Schertz Fire Rescue Team Member