- Feature Links
- Public Library
- About the Library
About the Library
Wisdom from yesterday, knowledge for today, dreams for tomorrow.
The Schertz Public Library promotes the love of reading and the joy of discovery for persons of all ages, provides information and learning resources in a variety of formats for both education and leisure, and supports our customers in their life-long learning pursuits.
The Public Library Association has identified eighteen of the most common clusters of services offered by public libraries and defined them as “service responses.” The Schertz Public Library has chosen the following service responses as priorities.
- Create Young Readers: Emergent Literacy
Preschool children will have programs and services designed to ensure that they will enter school ready to learn to read, write, and listen.
- Satisfy Curiosity: Lifelong Learning
Residents will have the resources they need to explore topics of personal interest and continue to learn throughout their lives.
- Stimulate Imagination: Reading, Viewing and Listening for Pleasure
Residents who want materials to enhance their leisure time will find what they want when and where they want them and will have the help they need to make choices from among the options.
- Connect to the Online World: Public Internet Access
Residents will have high-speed access to the digital world with no unnecessary restrictions or fees to ensure that everyone can take advantage of the ever-growing resources and services available through the Internet.
- Make Informed Decisions: Health, Wealth, and Other Life Choices
Residents will have the resources they need to identify and analyze risks, benefits, and alternatives before making decisions that affect their lives.
The Schertz Public Library:
- Reviews, acquires, catalogs and processes a wide variety of library materials in print and audiovisual formats for users of all ages;
- Circulates, tracks, repairs and stores library materials;
- Provides internet access to the public;
- Answers informational and reference questions;
- Provides Inter-Library Loan service (ILL);
- Provides access to a number of services and products to the public such as tax forms, electronic informational and research databases, and online book clubs;
- Provides weekly story time programs for children from infants to teens, as well as winter and summer reading programs;
- Provides instructional and recreational programming for adults in high-interest areas such as computers and computer software, health and fitness, financial planning, crafts, and literature; and
- Actively cooperates and interacts with other libraries in the region to share ideas and stay current in library practices. The library participates in CTLS, Inc. (Connecting Texas Libraries Statewide), a non-profit corporation that sponsors continuing education programs for library staff and encourages library usage and support by Texas residents. The library’s primary service area includes the City of Schertz, the City of Selma, the City of Cibolo and Guadalupe County.