Patron Conduct Policy
The Schertz Public Library facility is available to persons of all ages. While everyone has an equal right to access library services and facilities, no person has the right to interfere with the ability of others to use and enjoy library resources, services and facilities.
To make sure that everyone enjoys using the library, the following rules have been established and adopted by the Schertz Library Advisory Board.
The Library Director and staff are responsible for enforcing patron conduct in the library and on library premises. Anyone found to be interfering with another’s use and enjoyment of the library will be asked to stop the behavior or activity. If the behavior continues, the staff will ask the individual to leave the library. Failure to leave will result in staff calling the police for assistance.
To provide an enjoyable library visit for everyone, no person shall:
- Possess alcohol or any illegal substance or be intoxicated (whether by alcohol or other mind-altering drugs) to the point of impairment of his/her mental or physical abilities.
- Exhibit disruptive, uncontrolled behavior or exceed acceptable noise levels.
- Verbally or physically abuse library patrons or library staff.
- Harass patrons or staff, or attempt to engage patrons or staff in unwanted discussion.
- Engage in indecent exposure or activity.
- Bring animals into the library except for animals used in library programming or guide dogs or other guide animals that accompany and assist persons who are physically challenged.
- Enter the library without being fully clothed including shoes.
- Use a skateboard, scooter or skates in the library or on library premises.
- Present bodily hygiene that is distracting to patrons or staff to the point that it interferes with patrons’ use of library resources or with staff work.
- Make unauthorized or inappropriate use of library equipment (e.g. telephones, computers, fire alarms, emergency exit doors, etc.)
- Destroy or deface library resources or property or the personal property of patrons or staff.
- Steal library property.
- Trespass into any area that is closed to the public.
- Eat or drink in non-designated areas.
- Place briefcases, book-bags, musical instruments, etc. where they block aisles or take up workspace of patrons and staff. The library reserves the right to search such bags or other belongings.
- Sleep in the library.
- Smoke or use tobacco products in any area of the library. Smoking includes the use of electronic cigarettes.
- Allow cell phones or other personal electronic devices to ring loudly or be in any way disruptive while in the library. Cell phones should be turned off or set to vibrate. Cell phone conversations should be conducted quietly and discreetly or conducted outside.
- Refuse to leave at closing time or when asked to leave by staff.
Adopted by the Schertz Public Library Advisory Board: May 7, 2001
Revised: April 4, 2005
Revised: May 6, 2014
Revised: September 1, 2015