SCHERTZ AND SURROUNDING AREAS • COMMUNITY & SOCIAL SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS
- 211 Texas Information Center for the State of Texas Information and Referral Search
- 311 Schertz Customer Relations
(210) 619-1000 or 311 (within Schertz)
Crisis Services (Emergency Care & Shelter, Disaster):
- American Red Cross 3642 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX, 78219 (210) 224-5151
- Boysville Inc Provides children with safety and security through various programs such as emergency shelter, residential and foster care programs. 8555 E. Loop 1604 North, Converse, TX 78109 (210) 659-1901
FAX (210) 659-6527
- Cibolo Police Department 162 Loop 539 E., P.O. Box 826, Cibolo, TX 78108 (210) 659-1999
- Crisis Connection Provides qualified counselors who are able to respond to any problem 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by phone or text. Services are free, confidential and immediately accessible. (612) 379-6363 or (866) 379-6363
- Guadalupe Valley Family Violence Shelter Emergency shelter; crisis hotline; crisis counseling; advocacy. 1-800-834-2033 (24/7 Crisis Line), 830-372-2780 (Business Line)
- SAMM Ministries Homeless prevention services, transitional housing, rapid re-housing, and other supportive services. 5254 Blanco Road, San Antonio, TX 78216 firstname.lastname@example.org (210) 340-0302
- Schertz Police Department 1400 Schertz Parkway, Schertz, Texas 78154 (210) 619-1200
- Texas Prepares Offers plans, checklists, evacuation routes, and other resources that assist with planning for disasters.
- Texas Suicide Prevention Information and resources. If you need to talk or are concerned about someone else, please call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If someone is in immediate crisis, dial 911.
- Adult Education & Literacy Offers the following courses English as a Second Language (ESL), English Literacy and Civics (EL Civics), Adult Basic Education/Adult Secondary Education (ABE/ASE) and Free Career and College Planning Services to residents of the following counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar (excluding Northside ISD, North East ISD, and San Antonio ISD), Comal, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Wilson and more! (210) 370-5473
- Alamo Workforce Solution Provides resources that help individuals seeking employment. 4615 Walzem Road Suite 100, San Antonio, TX 78218 (210) 822-7640 FAX (210) 822-9623
- The Assessment Center at Northeast Lakeview College Provides external and correspondence test proctoring services to students that need exams administered in a secure, proctored environment. Student Commons Building (STCM 227), 1201 Kitty Hawk Rd., Universal City, Texas 78148 (210) 486-5401 Option #6 FAX (210) 486-9177
- Brainfuse Adult Learning Center Log in with your Schertz Public Library card and use the high school equivalency preparation resources, prepare for the US Citizenship test, get Microsoft Office help, and write a resume with help from writing experts-FOR FREE!
- Goodwill-Careers Center Services include job preparation, placement, retention and advancement. 3730 N. Loop 1604 East at Bulverde, San Antonio, TX 78247 (210) 924-8581
- Schertz-Cibolo Universal City ISD 1060 Elbel Road, Schertz, TX 78154 (210) 945-6200
- Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services The Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Program helps people who have physical or mental disabilities prepare for, find or keep employment. 10303 Nacogdoches Rd., San Antonio, TX 78217 (210) 590-5740
- Texas Workforce Commission Find full-time job employment, education opportunities, occupational or vocational training, and other resources. 4615 Walzem Road Suite 100, San Antonio, TX 78218 (210) 822-7640 FAX (210) 822-9623
- TexShare Databases Contact the Schertz Public Library for the log-in information to LearningExpress Library and the Job & Career Accelerator! (210) 619-1700
Family Services (Financial Assistance, Rent, Utilities, Grocery, Clothing, Food Stamps):
- Any Baby Can Provides support services through case management for children between birth to 17 years of age that have a chronic illness, developmental delay, health risk, or challenge.
*The child must reside in either Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Blanco, Caldwell, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hays, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Medina, Real, Uvalde or Wilson County. 217 Howard Street, San Antonio, TX 78212 (210) 227-0170 FAX (830) 606-4141
- Catholic Charities and Guardianship Money Management Programs Offers legal guardianship services, including less restrictive alternatives, for those who lack mental capacity due to illness or disability, and who are at risk of abuse, neglect and exploitation. 202 W. French Pl., San Antonio, Texas 78212 (210) 222-1294
- Christian Assistance Ministry CAM provides food, clothing, financial assistance, miscellaneous items, and referrals to other agencies for clients who qualify. 110 McCullough Avenue, San Antonio, Texas 78215, (210) 223-4099
- Christian Cupboard Provides food and other basic need items to those living in Guadalupe County. 516 North Camp, Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 379-4857
- Community Council of South Central Texas, Community Services Program Provides high utility assistance and case management to low-income individuals and households in Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Edwards, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Kinney, Live Oak, McMullen, Medina, Real, Uvalde, Val Verde, Wilson and Zavala Counties. 1201 W. Court Street, Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 379-3022 FAX 379-9779 email@example.com
- Connections Individual and Family Services Offers the Services to At-Risk Youth (STAR) Program which provides individual, family and group counseling that helps youth and their families recognize and use their strengths to address goals that are solution focused.1414 W. San Antonio St., New Braunfels, TX 78130, PO Box 311268 (830) 629-6571 FAX 830-608-1262
- The Country Church Attic Serves residents of Guadalupe County whose income falls within the federal poverty guidelines, enabling stability in their households by offering monthly assistance in food, clothing, and household items. 1005 W. FM 78, Marion, TX 78124 (830) 914-3133
- EAT’s Foundation Assists low income families and individuals in Guadalupe and surrounding rural counties through food distribution, assistance programs, education and advocacy. 767 S. Saunders Street, Seguin, Texas 78155 (830) 372-4900 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ella Austin Community Center Individual and Family Services program provides short term emergency assistance to low income individuals and families in a crisis situation requiring immediate assistance with basic needs of food, clothing, utility and holiday assistance. 1023 N. Pine St., San Antonio, TX 78202, (210) 224-2351 FAX (210) 229-9126
- GRASP (Greater Randolph Area Services Program) Qualified households receive emergency assistance for rent, utilities, food, and medicine. 250 Donalan, Converse, Texas 78109-1100 (210) 658-6351
- RACAP (Randolph Christian Assistance Program) RACAP provides many forms of assistance such as food, rent assistance, prescription medications and utilities (electric, water & gas). Helps zip codes: 78108, 78109, 78124, 78132, 78148, 78154, 78233, 78247, & 78266. 307 Pfeil Street, Schertz, TX 78154 (210) 658-1613 FAX (210) 658-3336 email@example.com
- San Antonio Food Bank Provides food and grocery products to more than 500 partner agencies in 16 counties throughout Southwest Texas.5200 Old Highway 90 West, San Antonio, TX 78227 (210) 337-3663 / 1-800-246-9121
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) Benefits Office Provides TANF, Food Stamps and TANF-Related Medicaid Services. 109 Windy Meadows Drive, Schertz, TX 78217 (210) 659-5826
- American Gateways Provides free and low-cost legal representation to immigrants in Central Texas. Our clients are victims of family violence, asylum seekers, and victims of human trafficking. 5835 Callaghan Road, Suite 601, San Antonio, TX 78228, (512) 478-0546 ext 232 or ext 236 FAX 1-866-220-0128
- Basic ESL Students learn English quickly and effectively on relevant topics including: family, home, school and many other topics for free!
- Brainfuse Adult Learning Center Log in with your Schertz Public Library card and prepare for the US Citizenship test-FOR FREE!
- Catholic Charities of San Antonio, Inc. (CCAOSA) Provides reduced-fee support services to assist low-income immigrants in Central and South Texas. CCAOSA helps immigrants receive full benefits available to them under immigration laws.Immigration Services-1801 W. César E. Chávez Blvd., San Antonio, Texas 78207 (210) 433-3256; Refugee Services 202 W. French Pl., San Antonio, Texas 78212 (210) 222-1294
- Center for Refugee Services- San Antonio Provides resettled refugees with assistance with basic needs and educational services. 8703 Wurzbach Rd, STE. A-1, San Antonio, TX 78240 (210) 949-0062
- RAICES (Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services)Promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families and refugees in Central and South Texas. 5121 Crestway Dr. #105, San Antonio, TX 78239 (210) 226-7722
- Rocket Languages Schertz Public Library cardholders can use this interactive website to learn conversational language at their own pace.
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid Provides free legal services to low-income residents in sixty-eight counties of Southwest Texas, and represents migrant and seasonal farm workers throughout the state of Texas. 1111 N. Main Ave., San Antonio, TX 78212 (210) 212-3700 FAX 210-212-3774
- TexShare Databases Contact the Schertz Public Library for the log-in information to LearningExpress Library where you can prepare for the U.S. citizenship exam! (210)619-1700
Medical Services (Medical Care, Equipment, Transportation, & Pregnancy):
- Alamo Regional Transit Provides public transportation bus service to all residents in the service region. Serves 12 rural counties – Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Medina, McMullen, and Wilson. Service to and from Bexar County and San Antonio is also provided. 8700 Tesoro Drive, Suite 700, San Antonio, TX 78217-6228 (866) 889-7433 FAX (210) 832-8785
- Case Management for Children and Pregnant Women Helps find services for children (birth to age 20) and pregnant women who get Medicaid with health problems or at a high risk for getting health problems. 1-877-847-8377 (1-877-THSTEPS)
- CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Plan) Offers low-cost health coverage for children from birth through age 18. 1-877-543-7669
- Community Health Centers of South Central Texas, Inc. An organization whose mission is to provide affordable high quality primary and preventive health care services to the people of Gonzales, Guadalupe, Caldwell and surrounding counties. 1201 W. Court St., Seguin, TX 78155, (830) 379-9797 FAX (830) 379-0248
- Family & Community Health Programs-Texas Department of State Health Services Programs and services that vary from adolescent health, children with special needs, genetics, oral health services, etc.
- Guadalupe Regional-PAP (Prescription Assistance Program) Helps those with low of fixed incomes obtain free medications. 1215 E. Court Street, Seguin, TX 78155 1-800-506-6394 | (830) 379-2411
- Medical Transportation Program-Texas Department of State Health Services Many CSHCN Services Program clients can use the Medical Transportation Program (MTP) to get to their doctor’s office, drugstore, or any place that they get medical services. If you have no way to get to these places, MTP can help you. 1-877-MED-TRIP (1-877-633-8747)
- Seguin Sunset Lions Club Eyeglasses for the needy. 808 E. Pine Street, Seguin, TX (830) 379-9022
- Shriner’s Hospital for Children An orthopedic hospital serving children- at no cost. 6977 Main Street
Houston, TX 77030-3701 (713) 797-1616
- South Texas Pregnancy Center Free and confidential pregnancy testing, limited first trimester ultrasounds, parenting classes, information and referrals. 975 W. Court Street, Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 303-2151
- Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services Programs with services for people who are blind or visually impaired. 4241 Woodcock Dr. # A-105, San Antonio, TX 78228 (800) 687-7039 | (210) 785-2750
- Cibolo Animal Services Animal Control officers conduct investigations into animal bite cases, animal attacks, and animal cruelty. Provides humane live traps to residents for trapping small nuisance wildlife and stray animals. 300 Cibolo Drive, Cibolo, TX 78108 210-659-1999 (Administration) 210-619-1200 – (For after hours Emergency- Schertz Dispatch)
- Cibolo Animal Shelter 108 Cibolo Dr Bldg 3, Cibolo, TX 78108 (210) 659-4851
- Homes for Pets Dedicated to companion animal rescue and community education.
- Schertz Animal Services Provides shelter services, animal adoptions, pet licenses and enforces the City’s Animal Ordinance and Texas Laws relating to animals and investigates animal cruelty and neglect. 800 Community Circle
Schertz, TX 78154 (210) 619-1550
- Alamo Area Agency on Aging (AAAA) Services provided includes congregate meals, home-delivered meals, benefits counseling, care coordination, legal assistance, nutrition and counseling and training, caregiver support, and transportation services. Services the following counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, McMullen, Medina, and Wilson. 8700 Tesoro Dr, Suite 700, San Antonio, TX 78217 (210) 362-5561
(866) 231-4922 FAX (210) 225-5937
- CCSCT Aging Program Services provided in this program are congregate meals, home-delivered meals, nutrition education, and information & referral assistance. The program serves 6 rural counties – Atascosa, Comal, Frio, Guadalupe, Karnes, McMullen, and Wilson. 1410 E. Court St., Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 372-3750
- Ella Austin Community Center Senior Services Program offers senior citizens, 60 years and over an opportunity to eat healthy meals, socialize, stay active and be able to lead a healthier lifestyle. 1023 N. Pine St., San Antonio, TX 78202 (210) 224-2351 FAX (210) 229-9126
- Schertz Area Senior Center Provide comprehensive services to help you stay independent and active for $36 per year. 608 Schertz Pkwy, Schertz, TX 78154 (210) 619-1974
- Texas Adult Protective Services (APS) APS investigates abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults who are elderly or have disabilities. Any adult who has a disability or who is age 65 or older over that is in a state of abuse, neglect, or exploitation is eligible to receive adult protective services.1-800-252-5400
Services for the Disabled, Blind & Visually Impaired:
- Blind Services-Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services Assists blind or visually impaired individuals and their families. Depending upon their goals and needs, DBS offers services to help regain independence or find a job. 4241 Woodcock Dr., # A-105, San Antonio, TX 78228 (210) 785-2750
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing-Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative ServicesWorks in partnership with people who are deaf or hard of hearing to eliminate societal and communication barriers to improve equal access for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. 4900 N. Lamar, Suite 2169 Austin, Texas 78751, PO Box 12904, Austin, Texas 78711 (512) 407-3250 Voice * (512) 407-3251 TTY
- Disability Determination Services-Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services Has the mission “to improve the quality of life for Texans with disabilities who apply for or receive SSA disability benefits, by making timely and accurate disability determinations.” (512) 437-8000 or 1-800-252-7009
- Talking Books Program Providing free library service to Texans of all ages who are unable to read standard print material due to visual, physical, or reading disabilities-whether permanent or temporary. Our books are available on digital cartridge, Braille, large print, and cassette, and we loan playback equipment to be used with TBP materials. Contact your local librarians about it today! Lizzi Bertoia (210) 619-1725, Natalie Shults (210) 619-1712
Specialized Services (Substance Abuse, Counseling, Legal Aid, Child Abuse):
- Alcoholics Anonymous Support group for people who are alcohol abusers and want to stop drinking. 8804 Tradeway
San Antonio, TX 78217 Business Line: (210) 821-6325 firstname.lastname@example.org Hotline: (210)409-8524
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) Advocates for abused and neglected children in the court system. 1619 E. Common, Suite 301, New Braunfels, TX 78130 (830) 626-2272 FAX 830-626-3636
- Children Protective Services (CPS) 612 Jefferson St., Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 372-2662
- Guadalupe County Children’s Advocacy Center Provide children who have been sexually or physically abused help through forensic interviews, coordinating investigations, medical accompaniment, victim assistance and referrals. 424 N. River Street, Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 303-4760 FAX (830) 303-4742
- Rural Area Parenting Program Services (RAPPS) Parenting, anger management, & alcohol awareness classes.
- 664 North 123 By-Pass, Suite 2, Seguin, TX 78155 (830) 303-9225 alt: 830-491-1384 email@example.com
- Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid (TRLA) Provides free legal services to low-income residents in the service area. The service area is made up of 68 counties total including Bexar, Comal and Guadalupe. 1-888-988-9996
- Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC) Naco Perrin Clinic, 4020 Naco Perrin, San Antonio, TX 78217 (210) 207-4742
- Alamo Area Council of Governments Helps find resources in both government and community service agencies that are ready and willing to assist you in honor of your sacrifices and service to our great nation. Services the following counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, McMullen, Medina, and Wilson.
- 8700 Tesoro Dr., Suite 700, San Antonio, TX 78217 (210) 981-1305, FAX (210) 225-5937
- Comal County Veteran Services Provides comprehensive knowledge of federal law (U.S. Code of Federal Regulations), Title 38, state laws and regulations applying to veterans and their dependents in obtaining all benefits to which they are entitled by law. 1297 Church Hill Drive, New Braunfels, Texas 78130, (830) 221-1170 FAX (830) 620-3447
- Guadalupe County Veterans Service Office Assists veterans and or their survivors in obtaining entitled benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the State of Texas.1101 Elbel Rd., Schertz, TX 78154
- National Veterans Outreach Service Center For information regarding: Texas Veterans Outreach Program, Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program, Veterans Integration Program, Homeless Female Veterans and Homeless Veterans with Families Program, Residential Center for Veterans and Stand Down information. 611 N. Flores, Suite 100, San Antonio, Texas 78205 (210) 354-4892 FAX (210) 472-2248 firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS) Offers a variety of health services to meet the needs of our nation’s Veterans. 17440 Henderson Pass, San Antonio, TX 78232-1662 (210) 483-2900
- Texas Veterans Legal Assistance Project A Statewide project to expand the availability of legal assistance to low-income Texas Veterans and their families. To contact VLAP with your legal matter please call 1-800-622-2520, Option 2.